A staple of Middle Eastern, North African and Indian cuisines, the Chick Pea is also known as Garbanzo Bean in Latin America, Bengal gram in India, Hummus in Arab countries or Shimbra in Ethiopia. It is one of the most ancient cultivated vegetable; approx. 10,000 years, offering a wide spectrum of health benefits.
• Excellent source of protein and vitamin C
• High in fiber:
- Preventing digestive disorders and easing the bowel movements
- Lowering the blood sugar levels (beneficial for diabetes)
- Decreasing the amount of cholesterol in the blood yet protecting the heart
• Rich in iron, phosphate, calcium and magnesium contributing to strong bones
For approx. 30 ground chickpeas falafels, 250 g dried chickpeas, 1 grated red onion, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 tsp freshly grounded cumin, 1 tsp grounded coriander seeds, chiseled fresh flat parsley, fresh mint leaves, ¼ tsp baking powder, salt, vegetable based oil for frying.
- Soak the chickpeas in a large bowl of cold water overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Place the soaked chickpeas in a blinder or food processor and mix them to obtain a smooth texture.
- Add and mix together onion, garlic, parsley, cumin, cilantro, and baking powder, salt and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Form the chickpeas mixture into balls.
- Heat oil in a deep pot or wok and fry 1 ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little bit of flour. Then fry couple balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain well on paper towels.
- Place in a bowl or a plate with mint leaves adding a fresh and cooling taste.
Note: The chickpeas falafel can be served in many ways: appetizer, main ingredient in a wrap or as a snack. Canned chickpeas can also be used instead of the soaking the dry ones.
Ayurveda Concepts :
According to ayurveda, legumes are astringent in taste. They help build all the seven types of dhatus or body tissue, especially muscle tissue, which makes them especially important for individuals on a vegetarian diet. -Only a small amount of legumes should be eaten by a Vata person during a meal as it will induce more gas. Chickpea also helps break up kidney and gallbladder stones.
To read the full article please download our Asana Journal App or purchase Issue 151 July 2015.