“When I was growing up, I used to climb the orange trees to pick my own oranges. I remember the sound of the tiny branches that held the fruit, the fresh smell and the sweet taste. I do remember my sticky hands while I was peeling the golden fruit and eating it right from the tree. Every spring, my mom would distill orange flowers to make orange blossom water traditionally and store it in a silver perfume-like bottle. The water was used during celebrations to welcome guests to freshen up. Oranges have been an entire part of my childhood like the Famous Proust’s Madeleine”. Mouna.
Oranges: history facts
- Oranges were first grown in Southeast Asia, northeastern India and southern China and were first cultivated in China around 2500 BC.
- In Queen Victoria’s day, oranges were given as Christmas gifts in England.
- Orange in Chinese sounds like the Chinese word for “wealth” and Tangerines in Chinese sounds similar to the word “luck”. During the Chinese New Year, the gift of oranges symbolizes an abundance of happiness and prosperity.
The fruit: health facts
• Excellent source of vitamin C, A, helps boost the immune system, rejuvenates the skin, reduces inflammation of the joints and prevents kidney stones.
• Rich in antioxidants, folate and potassium, keeping the heart healthy Cinnamon has plenty of medicinal properties including antioxidants, anti-inflammatory; anti-diabetic and lowers blood sugar levels. Orange peels are loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber.
3 medium size ranges, 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water, orange peel, ground cinnamon
• Scrap 1 orange skin into “zest”
• Peel oranges and slice them equal sizes
• Arrange the slices on a serving plate and add the orange blossom water on each slice
• Place the zest in the center of each orange slice
• Sprinkle with a pinch of ground cinnamon
• Place in the refrigerator 1 hour before serving
Ayurveda Concepts :
In Ayurveda cinnamon helps to pacify vatha dosha and kapha dosha. Orange is sour in taste which helps to pacify vatha dosha. This recipe helps to activate the body metabolism.
To read the full article please download our Asana Journal App or purchase Issue 149 May 2015.