Bell peppers, with their stunning bright colors, (red, yellow, orange, green, brown or purple) are not only beautiful to see in any garden but are also the healthiest vegetables accompanied with a fruity flavor.
Low in calories and high in nutrients, bell peppers are perfect for any occasion.
- They contain plenty of Vitamins: A, C and E, boosting the immune system and keeping the skin and hair healthy. (Red bell peppers contain the highest amount of Vitamin C). They also contain Vitamin B6, helping cells to replenish and keeping the nervous system healthy.
- They are a good source of beta-carotene, offering antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- The capsaicin found in bell peppers has other health benefits, which include lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol and regulating diabetes.
2 red bell peppers, 2 yellow bell peppers, 3-crushed garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon rinsed baby capers, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil leaves, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F). Wash the bell peppers thoroughly, cut them in half lengthwise, keep the stems and remove the seeds and membrane.
- In a baking dish, drizzle a little bit of the olive oil and place the bell peppers skin down and season with salt and pepper. In each half bell pepper, place desired crushed garlic, capers and a fresh basil leaf and drizzle with olive oil
- Place the foil-covered dish in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and add a fresh basil leaf. Serve in room temperature
Note: They can be offered as an appetizer, salad or side dish.
To read the full article please download our Asana Journal App or purchase Issue 148 April 2015.