The pearly, juicy, sweet & chewy gluten free wholegrain- Sorghum is widely used throughout Africa and in the first millennium was brought to India where it remains a vital crop. The 5th most important cereal crop in the world is now cultivated in 99 countries which makes it very popular.
Sorghum is an excellent food to eat for fiber, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and vitamin B3, helping lower the bad cholesterol and promoting a healthy nervous and digestive system.
Known as the “poor man’s protein”, Tofu is a winner as a meat substitute, making bones stronger, helping lower bad cholesterol and containing calcium and vitamin E.
1 medium size tomato, 100g Sorghum, 2 thick slices of Tofu, 1 generous tbsp chopped cilantro & parsley, couple leaves of baby spinach, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1-1/2 tsp ginger root juice, 1-1/2 tsp lime juice, salt & pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 204 Celsius (400 F). Wash the whole tomato. Roast it whole in the oven for approx. 30’. Then grill it at 300C for 10’.
- Wash sorghum grains and cook them on the stove with a generous amount of water for 1h.
- Mix together olive oil, ginger root juice, lime juice, cilantro & parsley, salt & pepper
- When sorghum is cooked, drain and add it to the mixture above.
- Slice the top part of the roasted tomato and stuff it with some of the sorghum salad and replace the tomato head back.
- Cut the tofu in cubes and gently mix it with the remaining sorghum salad.
- In a serving plate, arrange the baby spinach leaves; place the roasted tomato and add a bed of sorghum salad and drizzle with more lime and ginger root juice. Finish up with salt & pepper.
Note: Best taste if you let the salad cool off in the refrigerator for at least 1h before serving.
Ginger is an important herb in ayurveda, especially for rejuvenation and healing. IT has blood thinning properties, inhibits cell-clotting enzymes in your blood stream, lowers cholesterol, and reduces migraine headaches. It help balance kapha. Ayurveda uses Lime as a remedy for treating gout, malignant tumors, throat infections and chronic skin diseases. Tofu is a high protein food that is good for vegetarian.
To read the full article please download our Asana Journal App or purchase Issue 153 Sept 2015.