In India, traditional food consists of six tastes, sweet, sour, pungent, astringent, bitter and salt. It is customary in gurukulam for people to sit down and eat the food for better digestion. A lot of Indians say that when sitting down to eat, the stomach gets pressed and digestion is stimulated.
In Marma Sashtra, Nabhi Marma (navel point) and Brihati Marma (sides of the shoulder blades) are important yogic points for better acid secretion. This increases digestive fire, detoxification, reducing ama (toxins), promotes energy and rejuvenation
Proper digestion leads to good utilization of food and better absorption of nutrients. This is a good cure for even obesity, when samana vayu (balanced air for better bowel moments) has to be maintained. If it is not in balance, the stomach would bulge; this shows samana vayu imbalance in the solar plexus (Manipura Chakra).
Postures like Yoga Mudra, Pavanamuktasana, Dhanurasana, Ardha Matsyendrasana can stimulate this Point. Breathings like Kaphalabathi, Bastrika would also stimulate this point. Even practices like Nauli, Uddiyana Bandha can stimulate it and eliminate excess gases. This Nabhi Marma becomes a trigger point for Manipura chakra where crystal healing and reiki healing can be done to balance the energy in these chakras.
1. Lie face down on the mat.
2. Bend the knees, reach back and catch the ankles.
3. Inhale and lift the head, chest, and thighs as high as possible, stretching the body into a bow shape.
4. Keep the head back.
5. Hold the breath during the pose.
6. Exhale, slowly releasing legs and come down. The Bow pose is opposite to the Plough pose.
Benefits: Regular practice of the Bow pose strengthens the spine, intestines, liver and kidneys. It improves digestion, reduces fat and makes the body flexible. In this posture, Nabhi and Brihati Marmas are activated .
1. Lie on the back.
2. Inhale slowly and fold the left knee into the chest, pulling it firmly by clasping the hands around it, trying to touch head to knee, while keeping the right leg straight.
3. Hold the breath during pose.
4. Exhale while lowering leg and head.
5. Repeat with right leg; and then with both legs together.
Benefits: This releases abdominal flatulence, improves indigestion and reduces abdominal fat. It gives positive effect on the inflammatory lesions of large intestine and other abdominal organs. Nabhi and Brihathi Marmas get activated.